Sunday 17 July 2011

A Kinda Kitchen Sunday

On this soggy Sunday, I began the day at 10am after laying in bed and listening to The Prairie Home Companion.  I looked out the window and saw the sodden roses growing up 3 metres in the air through a crack in the balcony decking. I decided today was going to be a kitchen kinda day.


I put the slow cooker on with things from my freezer drawer labelled "Soup Makings". There was homemade chicken stock, frozen tomato passata, frozen zucchini slices, frozen roasted pumpkin. I went to the garden and fetched in celery and herbs and took an onion from the cupboard and a few handfuls of split peas and cooked it slowly for 6 hours. I then put in a heap of black pepper and curry powder and dadaaaaa! It was delicious. This will be frozen into small containers for Roger's lunches which he will alternate with the cornish pasties that I also made today.


On a NellyMary's Blog titled
 She has been teaching us how we can make a citrus cleaner so I decided to have a go at that today.  It's as easy as putting orange peel and vinegar into a jar and letting it steep.  From all accounts it works beautifully, so I am looking forward to checking it out for myself.
The next creation is called in our house "Sperring Rules" the reason why comes from a story my husband told me of his travels in Nepal.  He was staying at a lodge called the Red Door and it was run by two old Tibetan women and when you ordered your food at 4pm you would have to wait till 8pm to get it. Roger saw Sperring Rules on the menu and wondered and wondered what it could be. He ordered it to find out and when it arrived he found out it was their way of saying "Spring Rolls", so here they are the Spring rolls that I made today. They were filled with chicken tenderloin mince and onion, cabbage and ginger and soy sauce, and they were delicious.

After using all those orange peels earlier I decided to use the orange juice to make an Orange Self Saucing Pudding and it was very nice as it wasn't overly sweet.  Roger had eaten about 4 oranges during the afternoon while I was making the cleaner as he thought the Vitamin C might help his cold and besides they were lovely and sweet.
Yesterday I was busy writing school reports all day so to have a day in the kitchen was a nice change.

7 comments:

  1. wow, all that food has made me hungry. I need some brekky. It's exhausting working, kitchen work that is, but it leaves a real feeling of achievement. Might put the slow cooker on today myself as it is still wet and miserable here today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one very productive day. I like the look of that citrus cleaner. Will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sperring rolls! Wish I could have some now. And how did you manage to take the amazing pic on the header?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison: I was sitting on my couch and I looked out of the window and couldn't believe that cloud. Had to snap it immediately. My sister lives behind the cloud and she took a pic of it from her side and it was greeny grey and lightning and rain at her house. I thinking got the better end of the deal here.
    Purple pear: I can't wait till the cleaner is ready to give it a go as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, I agree with the comment above - that is a great header photo!
    Your post is not only very interesting, it's darn helpful. I bought a huge bag of oranges, for the same reason as your Husband, a cold and I thought the vit c would help. I have lots of peelings which just smell nice as they dry... now I will use them in that recipe as a cleaner!
    The self saucing pudding is a good idea - the orange would be a different version.
    LOL, I love how the Sperring Rules got their name! They look so tasty too.
    Always good to get the crockpot going isn't it - can just set it and forget it.
    Cheers for now :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, and I meant to say that your pasties look scrumptious. Also, seeing they're the proper shape, makes me hope you might feel inclined to share you recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds and looks like a nice day spent in the kitchen... Orange self saucing pudding sounds delicious! I have only ever made choc or caramel before, I might look into this one!

    ReplyDelete