Sunday 10 July 2011

Winter Illuminations

Now that Roger is out of hospital, (tests reveal nothing sinister, thank goodness, just a freaky thing that hopefully shouldn't re-occur), we thought we wouldn't travel to the shack this weekend (as being there, he wouldnt be able to resist climbing ladders and working his butt off). Opting instead for a more sedate weekend at home. BUT this Sunday was the annual Winter Chocfest.  Not wanting to subject myself to the temptations of chocolates galore I decide we could attend the festival preliminaries, a lantern festival last night, (Saturday). Members in the small community of Latrobe, Tasmania were invited to make lanterns from paper and sticks and parade them to an end point where they are usually displayed in trees on a river bank, but because the weather was being un-cooperative, they were displayed under some marquees. 


 The weekend photographs begin with some roses that I gave a learner teacher from the University who had spent 2 weeks working prac teaching with me as her mentor. She had done a fine job especially on the 2 days that I couldn't attend due to Roger's illness, where she kept the children in their normal routines despite having a relief teacher supervising.

A plethora of pink

What goes around comes around: Roger bought me this bouquet to thank me for caring for him when he collapsed. As if I wouldn't!!!

Daphne: the first time in years that I haven't had a head cold when its flowered and can really appreciate the perfume this winter. This is from my garden where I have 3 bushes.
Lanterns galore

This one shaped like a wombat.

Kids had a great time making them too by the looks of things.


Roger, rugged up against the icy winds.





A close-up of the lantern above.
Then we went visiting friends who have a new pound puppy, named Zac.

This fabulous fairy was hanging on a mirror at my friend's house.      
 Instructions to make your own lanterns are here:

http://www.chocolatewinterfest.com.au/documents/HowToMakeALantern_004.pdf

5 comments:

  1. Phew. So pleased all is well. And absolutely beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news for your Roger :D)
    Gorgeous flowers too. Oh that Daphne - am sure I can smell it!
    Love the idea of the choc winter fest with the lanterns - clever people, lovely lanterns... even a snail lantern!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some cute lanterns! And I love that fairy, I have a similar fairy to your friends, it is an angel I bring out at Xmas time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to read this good news! An i am happy too that you have a lantern festival in your midwinter. i always thought it unfair that you had to celebrate Christmas in the middle of Summer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments:

    Barefoot Crofter: We love Christmas in Summer when a hoard of visitors come for the feast they are happy camping in the backyard when the house is full. Nothing like crayfish and pavlova for Christmas dinner as well. Santa wears board shorts in Australia.

    ReplyDelete